Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ideas and reading material


Hi all,

yesterday I got some ideas, and I drew a mindmap around this topic. Actually, there could be three different kind of points of view:
1. what kind of waters and geographical/biological elements there are around transboundary waters, i.e. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
2. what kind of needs for those waters are existing, i.e. WATE
R USE (AND NEED)
3. what kind of cases there are globally, and what kind of conflicts/solutions exist, i.e. CASES
So, take a look at that mindmap attached above! Actually, that Fray Bentos case... At the moment, I'm reading a book, see the link: http://www.gaudeamus.fi/?p=991 (in Finnish). That is about agricultural business in Latin America, and especially the case of a pulp mill in Uruguay. There has been lots of political disagreements between Argentina and Uruguay, wether the mill is environmentally not good by the river between those two countries. If I find something interesting from that book, we can take couple of sentences from there as well.

However, I'm at work at the moment, so I must run back to my daily tasks! I'll add some stuff here later.

H-)

I will also write down my notes from the first lecture, in case they will help us.

2 comments:

  1. I like the mindmap! Very clear and well thought. Hehe, I made my bachelor thesis about the pulp mill conflict on River Uruguay and about the role of the River Uruguay Statute in that conflict. Could be of some use, huray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I actually added my lecture notes and that mindmap figure in Optima... Guess those stuff is easier to download there.

    That mindmap stuff... I actually learned to use that program just yesterday, MindManager that's called. We could actually improve that map over the project, and use that program to ease up our planning, right?! That was quite easy to use.

    BTW, have you Elina read that book: Jussi Pakkasvirta: Pulp & Fiction? If not, I can lend you that after I've finished. That's very interesting, coz pulp wood is only a part of that whole agribusiness over there. It's not taken for granted, that the piece of land can be used exactly for fiber wood. Ha!

    ReplyDelete