Saturday, January 23, 2010

Development politics and actions around water issues: material and "to do -list"

Hi,

I've been googleing... Must say, that I've got too many ideas and things to consider here... I've been writing down all my thoughts, and collected some reference material also on a word document. There is a start, let's say for an Introduction at least. I want to share some of my thoughts right now here, so that you can also continue brainstorming.

First of all, couple of links I've been reading (those include more links, and even more info behind the topics). Unfortunately these are in Finnish. However, I can share the main points of these in the meeting! Main thing I've tried to undestand here: what is the role of water in development politics (in Finland)? How is UN handling water issues at the moment? So, different backgrounds on global water issues...

http://www.global.finland.fi/public/default.aspx?nodeid=15819&contentlan=1&culture=fi-FI
http://www.global.finland.fi/Public/default.aspx?contentid=163688

Then, those questions that rose to my mind:
  • What kind of water use exists in transboundary water areas? cases.
  • What kind of examples we want to take to this project?
  • Any other similar centers already in other countires?
  • What is UN's role in transboundary water issues? UN has declared a "water decade" in year 2005.
  • Water conflicts/crises: what kind of cases there are? Any cooperative instances already solving problems like these? Good material/references (Martti Ahtisaari's team)? However, conflicts are our cases and examples here!
Any other thoughts from you? What kind of focus you've had when reading your materials?

3 comments:

  1. ur questions r essential and interesting to me. i will post some pts that ive got from my references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, last lecture's slides are not yet in Noppa page. That means, I cannot get any further information on project planning methods for tomorrow's meeting. That's unfortunate, but I hope we all have done our share of reading, and can get some collective ideas how to get further.

    See you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More material - UN's human development report from 2006: Global Water Crisis

    http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2006/

    ReplyDelete